2016년 5월 28일 토요일

Sandra Cisneros "The House on Mango Street"

I did it by doing the things I was afraid of doing so that I would no longer be afraid.

In English my name means hope. In Spanish it means too many letters. It means sadness, it means waiting.

You can never have too much sky. You can fall asleep and wake up drunk on sky, and sky can keep you safe when you are sad. Here there is too much sadness and not enough sky.

diseases have no eyes. They pick with a dizzy finger anyone, just anyone.

I want to be
like the waves on the sea,
like the clouds in the wind,
but I'm me.
One day I'll jump
out of my skin
I'll shake the sky
like a hundred violins.

You must keep writing. It will keep you free,

When there is nothing left look at on this street. Four who grew despite concrete. Four who reach and do not forget to reach. Four whose only reason is to be and be.

One day I'll own my own house, but I won't forget who I am or where I came from.


- I was looking for the different book by other South American writer I had read so many times when I was a kid. Also Zeze was the main character. And when I saw this book, I wasn't sure if I read it or not when I was young. But it seemed interesting to me to read through with a light heart.
I loved some lines the writer put in poetic ways. But the bitterness of life imbued in them. The color of her writing seemed pastel but subdued with light gray. Lines about the sad layers of net of underprivileged people's lives with truth and sincerity, still put in a beautifully touching way.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기